Friday, October 16, 2009

The Book Thief


by Markus Zusak
Rated PG-13
A big thanks to my friend Lisa J. for recommending this book to me. Although I like a great many books, I love very few of them, and this one I loved. Narrated by Death personified, it took me a few pages to get used to the unusual rhythm of this book, but once I did I had to immerse myself in it until I was finished. My apologies to my family for making cereal for dinner!
The Book Thief is the story of a young girl who lives in Nazi Germany during the height of the war. She's lost a lot already in the opening chapters of the book, and is living meal-to-meal with her foster parents when she begins stealing. And the thing she begins stealing is books. And the books - reading them, writing them - save her. I have to admit that I bawled my way through the last dozen pages or so. Truly an unforgettable book.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is really a lot of swearing in this book, but 3/4 of it is in German, which makes it easier to skip over.
clean books for book club, clean books, clean book reviews, great clean books, clean reads, clean books for teens