Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Promise Me

by Richard Paul Evans
                              Rated PG

I like Richard Paul Evans because he writes spotlessly clean romances, which are very hard to find. In addition, he's a great storyteller. I'm really not much of a romance reader, because when I read them I find myself saying, "I wonder why my husband never waxes eloquent about my beauty while drying dishes by my side?". They're just not healthy for my relationship! But, I loved The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box, Timepiece, and The Letter so much that I wanted to read his latest, Promise Me.

Granted, this novel has a kind of creepy premise: a young man promises his dying wife that he will try to save her mom from financial ruin and other sorrows, and as soon as he makes the promise he finds himself transported to a past where his wife is only six years old, and yes, he may be accidentally falling in love with her mom. That would be his own mother-in-law, for those of you who weren't paying attention.

Thanks to Evans' clean writing, it never gets truly creepy, and really his storytelling is so beautifully done that you get past the weird premise very quickly.

Okay, if I haven't completely turned you off, go ahead and read Promise Me. You'll enjoy it.

Rated PG because, well, it's creepy. Everything else is squeaky clean.