Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Wednesday Wars



by Gary D. Schmidt
Rated G
I enjoyed Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy so much I thought I would try another novel by this author, and I'm glad I did. It's not too often you can read a clean coming of age story, but this one is squeaky. (It takes the main character three pages just to get up the nerve to say "butt"!)
Holling Hoodhood spends his 7th grade year dealing with all kinds of mishaps and adventures, including playing a fairy in the community play (tights included), losing the class rats, and getting in the way of the school bully. Not to mention being "The Son Who Will Inherit Hoodhood and Associates".
Set in the Vietnam-war era, this novel is in turns funny, charming, thought-provoking and compelling.

clean books, books that are clean, clean reads, clean books for teens, clean book reviews, good books