Monday, June 29, 2009

Max the Mighty



by Rodman Philbrick
Rated PG
My 12-year-old son recommended this book to me, and I was glad he did. Max the Mighty is actually the sequel to Freak the Mighty, which I haven't read, but if it's as good as this one (and my son says it's better), then you should start your reading there.
Max is a giant sized boy with a timid heart who ends up running across the country with an 11-year old girl, nicknamed Worm, after he is accused of a crime he didn't commit. Although troubled by deep secrets herself, Worm believes Max is mighty enough to save her. Trying to live up to that while keeping them both alive is the biggest challenge Max has ever faced.
If your kids don't like to read, Philbrick's clean books would be a great place to start. This book was fast paced, relatively short, yet compelling. Max the Mighty is rated PG for a small amount of violence. I recommend this book for grades 4-8.
clean book, clean book reviews, clean books for teens, clean children's books, clean fiction, clean reads